body
Name:

Older than I'd like to be,younger than I'd like to be. Still raging against mass culture/conformity .. to be continued

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Google Dominates The World

Thanks to Will Pate, I discovered this article online about Google's Ten Golden Rules. Not sure why it's happening at the moment but the older I get the more I seem to run across these odd co-incidences. There was a similar article about Google and It's World Domination plans in (I Think as I can't quite remember where I read it now) The Vancouver Sun of Dec 17, 2005.

The paragraph in the web article that really caught my eye was this one:

"Cater to their every need. As Drucker says, the goal is to "strip away everything that gets in their way." We provide a standard package of fringe benefits, but on top of that are first-class dining facilities, gyms, laundry rooms, massage rooms, haircuts, carwashes, dry cleaning, commuting buses—just about anything a hardworking engineer might want. Let's face it: programmers want to program, they don't want to do their laundry. So we make it easy for them to do both".

The co-incidence was striking most especially after having recently read JG Ballard's "Super-Cannes" where he structures his story around a business enterprise strikingly similar to Google in the "cater to their every need" aspect.

In a world where Work/Life balance becomes part of the workplace what then? Is there really any distinction to be made and if not where will it lead us?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home